Eat Without Restrictions
With traditional metal braces, eating becomes more challenging, and you need to avoid certain foods that can break wires and brackets. With Invisalign, you’re free to eat what you want because you can easily remove your aligners to eat and drink. So, go ahead and enjoy your favorite foods.
Protecting Your Aligners
When you remove your aligners to eat and drink, it’s essential to safely store them so they don’t become damaged, or, even worse, get thrown away with the trash! Always place your aligners in your storage case while not in use and give them a rinse before placing them back in your mouth.
Foods to Keep Your Teeth Healthy
Although no foods are really off limits during your Invisalign treatment, you can choose healthy foods and beverages that will benefit the appearance of your teeth and your overall oral health. Your Invisalign diet could include:
- Dairy products, such as cheese and yogurt, which are rich in calcium, protein, healthy fats, and vitamins. Yogurt is especially good for your teeth because it contains probiotics that protect your gums from infection. Just be sure to pick a yogurt without added sugar.
- Healthy fruits and vegetables in a variety of colors will also help keep your teeth and gums, as well as your entire body, healthy. Crunchy fruits and vegetables, such as carrots and apples, have the added benefit of cleaning debris and plaque from your teeth.
- Did you know that water is the healthiest beverage, not only for your body but also for your teeth? Swishing water in your mouth after meals will help remove any remaining food particles, and if you drink fluoridated tap water, you’re getting the extra protection of this critical mineral.
Foods and Habits to Reconsider
You can truly eat whatever you want when undergoing Invisalign treatment, as long as you remove your aligners. But with this kind of freedom, you may end up with a diet that is less than healthy for your teeth and gums. Here are a few things you might want to avoid to keep your teeth healthy and beautiful during and after your Invisalign treatment.
- Hard or Chewy Foods – Constantly chewing gum can change your bite and it may prevent you from wearing your aligners for the recommended amount of time, while hard or chewy foods can chip or damage your teeth.
- Foods that Stain – Coffee, tea, wine, yellow curry, and blueberries are just some of the foods and beverages that can stain your teeth and detract from the outcome of your Invisalign-straightened smile.
- Carbonated Beverages – The carbonation in fizzy drinks has been shown to erode tooth enamel which can leave your teeth open to decay.
- Tobacco Use – Smoking or using any tobacco products is not only bad for your heart and lungs but can be devasting on your dental health as well.
Experience the Convenience of Invisalign
If you’re not already straightening your smile with Invisalign, what are you waiting for? The Invisalign system offers the most convenient and discrete way to get the straighter smile you’ve always wanted without the hassles and restrictions of metal braces.
Schedule your consultation with Dr. Ang at his practice in Amherst. He’ll examine your teeth, speak with you about your goals, and create an Invisalign treatment plan to get your teeth straight up to two times faster than with traditional orthodontics.